Wharves, Hobart, Tasmania, Australia 1923By Remembering the Past Australia / August 12, 2020 / Australia / 0 Comments
Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
This image is part of the Colonial Office photographic collection held at The National Archives UK.
Hobart was founded on 29 February 1804, when Lt-Governor Collins moved the main southern settlement from Risdon to Sullivan’s Cove. Just four days later, a wharf out of Hunter Island was built to facilitate the unloading of supplies from the ships and the area flourished as one of the country’s most prized deep-water ports. However, by the late 1820s, the number of ships carrying whale products, goods, immigrants and convicts proved too much for the Hunter Island wharf (later referred to as ‘Old Wharf’) and in 1830 the Government agreed to build a new wharf on the southern end of the cove which possessed deeper anchorage and better shelter. By the mid-1840s, the bustling dock area had become known as the New Wharf, with access via Salamanca Place, named in honour of the Duke of Wellington’s 1812 victory in the Battle of Salamanca.
Showing the Wharves at Hobart, Tasmania, Australia. Original photograph published in 1923.
From the collection of: