Western Australian Bank, Perth, Western Australia ca. 1870-1880By Remembering the Past Australia / March 11, 2022 / Australia / 0 Comments
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
This image is part of the Colonial Office photographic collection held at The National Archives UK.
The Western Australian Bank was founded in 1841, opening its first branch in an adapted house on the corner of Pier Street and St George’s Terrace, Perth (later the location of St Andrew’s Church) on 23 June 1841. It moved to a new premises further west along St George’s Terrace in 1846 (shown above).
In 1886 built a permanent headquarters on the corner of William Street and St George’s Terrace, being based there until the bank’s closure. The bank amalgamated with the Bank of New South Wales in 1927, becoming known as the Bank of New South Wales, Western Australian Branch. [Wikipedia]
Showing the Western Australian Bank, Perth, Western Australia. Original photo ca. 1870-1880.
From the collection of: