Wesley Church and Town Hall, Hay Street, Perth, Western Australia ca. 1870-1880By Remembering the Past Australia / March 3, 2022 / Australia / 0 Comments
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
This image is part of the Colonial Office photographic collection held at The National Archives UK.
The building known as Wesley Church was built in 1870 for the Methodist congregation of Perth.
The first Methodists arrived in the Swan River Colony on February 3rd, 1830, aboard the Tranby, to found a small religious community on a peninsula of fertile land, 4 miles upstream from Perth, where the present Perth suburb of Maylands is situated. The group was led by Joseph and John Wall Hardey.
Wesley Church was designed by Richard Roach Jewell, an architect, circuit steward and Church member. Jewell arrived in the Swan River Colony in 1852 and was Clerk of Works of the Colonial Establishment. His first building was the Perth Gaol and Courthouse (1853-56). He would remain in office until 1885 and was responsible for the design of a number of prominent Perth buildings including Pensioner Barracks (1863); the west wing of the Central Government Offices (1874); The Cloisters (1856); the extensions to the Roman Catholic Pro-Cathedral convent buildings (the 1860s); and alterations to Perth Town Hall (1870). [A brief history of Wesley Church, Perth]
Showing the Wesley Church and Town Hall, Hay Street, Perth, Western Australia. Original photo ca. 1870-1880.
From the collection of: