Town Hall. Hobart, Tasmania, Australia ca. 1868By Remembering the Past Australia / August 12, 2020 / Australia / 0 Comments
Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
This image is part of the Colonial Office photographic collection held at The National Archives UK.
Construction of the town hall began in 1864, with the foundation stone laid on April 14, which was declared a public holiday and celebrated by a parade. It was completed two years later in September 1866, which was celebrated by another public holiday and a gala ball. The design by Henry Hunter was somewhat inspired by the Palazzo Farnese in Rome. At the time of construction, it was designed to house the City of Hobart’s council chambers, as well as police offices, the municipal court and the State Library of Tasmania. These remained in use for nearly fifty years after the town hall was opened. Hobart Town Hall and Franklin Square were built on the site of the former government house which had been demolished upon completion of the present government house.
Showing Hobart Town Hall, which also housed the police offices, municipal court and the State Library of Tasmania, ca. 1868.
From the collection of: