Town Hall, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia 1876By Remembering the Past Australia / March 26, 2022 / Australia / 0 Comments
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
This image is part of the Colonial Office photographic collection held at The National Archives UK.
The Adelaide Town Hall, built north of the Treasury Building in 1863–66, was then the tallest, grandest and most expensive structure on King William Street (Marsden, Stark & Sumerling, p163). It became the prime venue for balls, concerts, civic receptions and public meetings. The faces of the Albert Tower (named after Queen Victoria’s consort) remained empty for seven decades until Councillor Sir John Lavington Bonython, a former mayor, donated an electric clock. [sahistoryhub.history.sa.gov.au]
Showing the Town Hall in Adelaide, South Australia. Original photo published 1876.
From the collection of: