Timber Train, near Geeveston, Tasmania, Australia 1923By Remembering the Past Australia / August 12, 2020 / Australia / 0 Comments
Geeveston, Tasmania, Australia
This image is part of the Colonial Office photographic collection held at The National Archives UK.
Geeveston’s history is one of generosity. In 1839, John Price sold a large patch of land to Lady Jane Franklin. She then began distributing parcels of land to poor settlers and early Geeveston became known as The Settlement. The first settlers that were granted land arrived in the early 1840s.
Lady Jane returned to England for the next decade and many of the early settlers moved to the land around the Huon River. A few years later, in 1861, the town was officially named Geeves Town but would eventually be shortened to Geeveston.
John Geeves built the first steam-powered timber mill in 1874. It was a harbinger of things to come as Geeveston would rely heavily on the timber industry as well as Apple growing for its up-and-coming economy. And in early 1920, the town built one of the first paper mills in all of Australia. [tasmania.com]
Showing a Timber Train, near Geeveston, Tasmania, Australia. Original photo published 1923.
From the collection of: