The New Wharf. Port of Hobart, Tasmania, Australia ca. 1868By Remembering the Past Australia / August 12, 2020 / Australia / 0 Comments
Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
This image is part of the Colonial Office photographic collection held at The National Archives UK.
“Salamanca Place began taking shape in the late 1820s when the number of ships carrying whale products, import and export goods, immigrants and convicts in and out of the harbour became too much for the Old Wharf at the foot of Hunter Street. In 1830 the Government agreed to build a new wharf where Salamanca Place now exists. New Wharf, as it was known, soon became one of the great whaling ports of the world and as Tasmania’s export trades increased, the need for dockside warehouses quickly grew.
“Hundreds of convicts, housed in hulks moored at New Wharf, were used to quarry out the cliffs behind Salamanca Place, cut the stone and build the row of sandstone warehouses that now line Salamanca Place.” [About Salamanca – https://about-salamanca.com.au/]
Photograph taken from the Old Wharf/Ocean Pier looking South-West towards the New Wharf, and Battery Point in the background. Original ca. 1868.
From the collection of: