Coloured photograph showing the Opening of the Helena Bridge, Perth, Western Australia – 12 November 1867
Coloured photograph showing the Opening of the Helena Bridge, Perth, Western Australia, Australia – 12 November 1867
The second Perth Bridge (pictured) was built in response to the flooding which had occurred in June 1862. Designed by colonial architect Richard Roach Jewell, the Causeway was reconstructed several feet higher than the original, using convict labour. It was officially opened, along with the Guildford and Helena bridges the same day, by WA Governor John Stephen Hampton on 12 November 1867.
View of Perth Water from The Pensioners Barracks
The layout of the gardens dates largely from the 1850s and 1860s when the Government House was constructed.
The Drawing Room is still used today, where the Governor receives most ‘callers’ including meetings with community leaders and visiting dignitaries.
Coloured photograph of the Government House, Perth, Western Australia. Original photo ca. 1870-1880
Coloured photograph showing Perth Water from Spring Street, Perth, Western Australia. Original photo published ca. 1870-1880.
Coloured photograph showing Mount Eliza Bay, Perth Water, Perth, Western Australia ca. 1870-1880. Original photo published ca. 1870-1880.
At the time of European settlement and for some years after, Pepper Mint Grove was thickly wooded with tuart, jarrah, red gum, banksia as well as the peppermint trees which gave the suburb its name.