Supreme Court, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia 1876By Remembering the Past Australia / March 26, 2022 / Australia / 0 Comments
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
This image is part of the Colonial Office photographic collection held at The National Archives UK.
The first court built was the Supreme Court (now the Magistrates Court) on the corner of King William Street and Angas Street. One of the oldest public buildings in Adelaide, it features a distinctive façade of golden sandstone. Completed in 1851, in that August the ceremonial opening of the first session of South Australia’s Legislative Council was held there. The Supreme Court judges were soon dissatisfied with its lack of space and facilities, and so this court was transferred to the larger local court building in 1873, which then became, and remains, the Supreme Court. [sahistoryhub.history.sa.gov.au]
Showing the Supreme Court, Adelaide, South Australia. Original photo published 1876.
From the collection of: