St. Benedicts Roman Catholic Church, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia 1870By Remembering the Past Australia / April 7, 2022 / Australia / 0 Comments
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
This image is part of the Colonial Office photographic collection held at The National Archives UK.
St Benedict’s Catholic church was constructed between 1845 and 1856, to a design by British architect AW Pugin for Archbishop Polding. The site had been prepared in 1841 and the foundation stone for the church was laid by Archbishop Polding on 21 July 1845. A schoolhouse, where lessons began in 1838, stood adjacent to the church.
When opened, St Benedict’s was a large church positioned in a prominent position on the corner of George Street West (Broadway) and Abercrombie Street. It was the second major Catholic church finished in colonial New South Wales. The new church included an eight-bay nave and a chancel with two and a half bays flanked by eastern chapels. A peal of bells was added in the 1850s and remains one of the oldest in Australia. [Dictionary of Sydney]
Showing St. Benedicts Roman Catholic Church in Sydney, New South Wales. Original photo published 1870.
From the collection of: