Spring Street, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia 1912By Remembering the Past Australia / March 21, 2022 / Australia / 0 Comments
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
This image is part of the Colonial Office photographic collection held at The National Archives UK.
Parliament House is one of Melbourne’s best-known landmarks, facing the intersection of Spring and Bourke streets.
Originally an equestrian amphitheatre, the Princess Theatre on Spring Street was extended and remodelled in 1857 by Australia’s theatre impresario of the time, George Coppin, and opened as The Princess Theatre and Opera House.
The original Grand Hotel was built by shipping magnate George Nipper and designed by Charles Webb in a broadly Renaissance Revival style and was completed in 1884, and named “The Grand”.
Showing Spring Street with Parliament House on left, Princess Theatre and Grand Hotel (now Hotel Windsor) on right. Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. Original photo published 1912.
From the collection of: