School of Arts, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia 1886By Remembering the Past Australia / August 16, 2020 / Australia / 0 Comments
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
This image is part of the Colonial Office photographic collection held at The National Archives UK.
Brisbane School of Arts is a heritage-listed school of arts at 166 Ann Street, Brisbane City, City of Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. The building was erected in 1865-66. Known as the Servants Home, it provided accommodation for single adult females who had migrated to Queensland and were awaiting employment as domestic servants. Designed by H Edwin Bridges, the building comprised a ground floor and two upper galleries. All four elevations were identical. A notable feature of the interior was the lantern above the void in the two upper floors which provided natural lighting to the building. A 6,000 imperial gallon (27,300 litres) tank under the roof serviced the building with water. The contractors were Messrs Butler and Forster.
In 1873 the property was purchased by the trustees of the North Brisbane School of Arts for £1,000. The building was let to tenants for several years before it was converted to a school of arts. In 1877 contractor Blair Cunningham added verandahs and other modifications designed by Richard Gailey for a cost of £1,377. The new School of Arts building was opened on 17 May 1878.
Showing the School of Arts, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Original photo published 1886.
From the collection of: