Rundle Street, South Corner, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia 1876By Remembering the Past Australia / March 27, 2022 / Australia / 0 Comments
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
This image is part of the Colonial Office photographic collection held at The National Archives UK.
Rundle Street was one of the streets included in Colonel William Light’s Plan of the City of Adelaide. It runs east-west, connecting King William Street and East Terrace, and is divided midway by Pulteney Street. The streets and squares in Light’s Plan were named on 23 May 1837 by a Street Naming Committee made up of Governor John Hindmarsh, Colonel Light and ten other prominent settlers. Rundle Street was named after John Rundle, a director and financier of the South Australian Co. Rundle was a successful businessman and a Whig politician in the British House of Commons. [SA History Hub]
Showing the south corner of Rundle Street in Adelaide, South Australia. Original photo published 1876.
From the collection of: