Roman Catholic Cathedral, Perth, Western Australia ca. 1870-1880By Remembering the Past Australia / March 3, 2022 / Australia / 0 Comments
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
This image is part of the Colonial Office photographic collection held at The National Archives UK.
St Mary’s Cathedral, Victoria Square, west end, built by Dom Salvado and the monks of the Benedictine community of Subiaco. The convent of Sisters of Mercy, now Mercedes College, is in the background.
The foundation stone of the cathedral was laid on 8 February 1863, by the Bishop of Perth Rosendo Salvado.
Because of labour and fund shortages, the construction of the cathedral progressed slowly. Benedictine masons would walk daily between their Monastery in Subiaco and the construction site. In January 1864, construction was suspended because of a lack of money. Eventually, further funds were raised and the building completed, for a total cost of £4,000. The cathedral was blessed and opened on 29 January 1865.
Showing the Roman Catholic Cathedral, Perth, Western Australia. Original photo ca. 1870-1880.
From the collection of: