Queensland Club, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia 1886By Remembering the Past Australia / August 16, 2020 / Australia / 0 Comments
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
This image is part of the Colonial Office photographic collection held at The National Archives UK.
The Queensland Club building was constructed between 1882-84. The club was established in December 1859 following the apparent success of the North Australian Club in Ipswich, and coinciding with the establishment of Queensland as a separate colony. Adopting the British tradition of private clubs for influential members of the community, it provided a recreational venue and accommodation for men of common interests and socio-economic backgrounds. Members were mainly pastoralists, politicians, and business and professional men.
The club met initially in small premises in Mary Street. As membership increased, a larger venue was required and in 1881 the club purchased three allotments on the corner of George and Alice Streets, which was known as Hodgson’s Corner. FDG Stanley, a member of the club, was appointed architect.
The proximity to the seat of government made it an appropriate locale for the new club premises. Stanley’s plans were modified by the members and finally approved in March 1882. The contractor was J Smith and Sons and the contract sum was £14,150.
The building was opened in June 1884 and contained 41 members’ bedrooms, eight bathrooms, a clubroom, dining room, billiard room, smoking room, visitors room, offices and the necessary kitchens, servants rooms and toilets, providing a “home away from home” for society’s male elite. [Wikipedia]
Showing the Queensland Club, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Original photo published 1886.
From the collection of: