Princes Bridge – Southern Approach to City of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia 1912By Remembering the Past Australia / March 21, 2022 / Uncategorized / 0 Comments
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
This image is part of the Colonial Office photographic collection held at The National Archives UK.
The Princes Bridge is one of Melbourne’s best-known landmarks. Its location was established at the major crossing point of the Yarra River at the city’s foundation.
Before construction of the first timber bridge across the Yarra in 1845, punts transported people and animals from bank to bank. In 1850 the timber bridge was replaced by a grand single-arched stone bridge, itself replaced by the present structure. The design by architects Grainger & Jenkins was chosen by competition in 1879, and the bridge was built by the prolific builders David Munro & Co. Opened on 4 October 1888, the construction involved doubling the width of the river for flood-mitigation purposes, and an impressive gateway into the city from the south was created. It is notable as one of the major projects of civic embellishment undertaken in the land boom years of the 1880s. [EMelbourne]
Showing the Princes Bridge, southern approach to City of Melbourne, Victoria. Original photo published 1912.
From the collection of: