Brisbane in 1860 and 1886, Queensland
From the year 1828 hundreds of convicts laboured to construct the first stone buildings in Brisbane, The Colonial Stores Building and the Old Windmill. The goal served the convict population in this way for the next 17 years.
In 1841 three distinct areas were established, North Brisbane, Kangaroo Point and South Brisbane. Later in 1842, the district was opened to free settlers. In 1859 Queensland was named in honour of the reigning Queen of England and it became a separate colony from New South Wales. With an ever-increasing population which had by this time reached 6,000 Brisbane was made the capital.
The following gallery shows photographs of Brisbane taken from close to the same locations in 1860 and 1886 showing the development and growth of the city.
Adelaide Arthur Willmore Banks Bridges Brisbane Building & Construction Businesses Churches and Cemeteries Club and Society Houses Derwent River Edwin Carton Booth Fremantle Government Buildings Harbours and Wharfs Hobart Hospitals, Orphanages and Asylums Houses, Homesteads and Dwellings James Charles Armytage John Saddler John Skinner Prout Launceston Life on the Land Melbourne Mining Miners & Prospectors Mount Morgan New South Wales Nicholas Chevalier Norfolk Island Perth Public Buildings Pubs and Hotels Queensland Rivers, Beaches and Waterways Schools Ships Ships, Harbours and Wharfs South Australia Street Views Sydney Tasmania The Outdoors Thomas Heawood Trains, Trams, Railways and Stations Victoria Western Australia