Perth Boys School, Perth, Western Australia ca. 1870-1880By Remembering the Past Australia / March 11, 2022 / Australia / 0 Comments
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
This image is part of the Colonial Office photographic collection held at The National Archives UK.
The Perth Boys School was established in 1847, despite not having a permanent school building. The school occupied an assortment of vacant places, including the Old Court House.
The location selected for the permanent school building was originally the site of a water-powered flour mill operated by Henry Willey Reveley, the civil engineer for the Swan River Colony. The design was credited to William Ayshford Sanford, the Colonial Secretary, but the working drawings were drawn by the Colonial Architect Richard Roach Jewell.
For a number of years, the school had an average of 200 students but, in 1894, due to an increase in population attributable to the gold rush, the figure increased to 346. Perth Boy’s School served as a school until 1910, then it became an annexe to Perth Technical College.
Showing Perth Boys School, Perth, Western Australia. Original photo ca. 1870-1880.
From the collection of: