Parliament House, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia 1886By Remembering the Past Australia / August 16, 2020 / Australia / 0 Comments
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
This image is part of the Colonial Office photographic collection held at The National Archives UK.
The building of Brisbane’s Parliament House started in 1864, it was first occupied in 1868, and was finally completed 25 years later in 1889. It is characterised by solid colonnades which keep the building cool in summer, some truly magnificent timber work that was produced from local Queensland timbers, and an impressive and gracious interior.
The foundation stone was laid on 14 July 1865 by Governor George Ferguson Bowen. A ceremony was held for the occasion. The foundation stone weighed four tonnes, below it copies of Pugh’s Almanac, the Moreton Bay Courier and Guardian newspapers were placed along with the current coinage and an explanatory letter. Although some doubt exists, it is believed the foundation stone lies beneath the main entrance off George Street. [Queensland Parliament. Building Parliament House.]
Parliament House in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Original photo published 1886.
From the collection of: