Parliament House, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia 1876By Remembering the Past Australia / March 26, 2022 / Australia / 0 Comments
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
This image is part of the Colonial Office photographic collection held at The National Archives UK.
Today Old Parliament House on North Terrace is dwarfed by the imposing grey edifice of the new Parliament House adjacent to the east. Yet it remains a site of political and architectural significance. Old Parliament House is associated with democratic reforms in which South Australia led the way, including the introduction of full adult male suffrage in its lower house in 1856. The building incorporates the work of three important colonial architects: William Bennett Hays, Edward Angus Hamilton and Edward John Woods. It is one of only a handful of government buildings constructed before 1860 remaining in Adelaide. [adelaidia.history.sa.gov.au]
Showing Parliament House, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia. Original photo published 1876.
From the collection of: