Lake St Clair, Central Highlands, Tasmania, Australia 1923By Remembering the Past Australia / August 12, 2020 / Australia / 0 Comments
Lake St Clair, Tasmania, Australia
This image is part of the Colonial Office photographic collection held at The National Archives UK.
The first European explorer to see the lake was surveyor William Sharland in 1832, with George Frankland leading an expedition to it three years later. In 1840 James Calder cut a track from the lake to Macquarie Harbour, followed by another more practical track by Burgess. The Burgess track was maintained and recut by miners until 1883 when a new lower level route was discovered, which later became the Lyell Highway.
The area surrounding the lake was used by snarers and hunters from 1860 until the collapse of the fur trade in the 1950s, although it was illegal from 1927 onwards.
Showing Lake St Clair, Central Highlands, Tasmania. Original photo published 1923.
From the collection of: