Hutchins School. Tasmania, Australia ca. 1868By Remembering the Past Australia / August 12, 2020 / Australia / 0 Comments
Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
This image is part of the Colonial Office photographic collection held at The National Archives UK.
The Hutchins School was founded in 1846 as a memorial to The Venerable William Hutchins, the first Archdeacon of the colony of Van Diemen’s Land. Intended by the Church of England as a southern feeder school for Christ’s College at Bishopsbourne, it outlived the College and eventually absorbed its replacement – along with several other notable schools – to become the pre-eminent boys’ school in Tasmania.
Hutchins commenced operations under Headmaster J R Buckland at Ingle Hall in lower Macquarie Street, one of the oldest homes still standing in Hobart. In 1849 it moved a few blocks up Macquarie Street to a purpose-built schoolhouse designed by Tasmanian architect, William Archer.
The Macquarie Street building was sold in 1965 and Hutchins commenced full operations at Sandy Bay the following year. [History and Tradition. The Hutchins School.]
Photograph of Hutchins School on  Macquarie Street, Hobart, Tasmania, Australia. The original photo was taken ca. 1868.
From the collection of: