“Howell’s Corner”, Hindley Street, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia 1876By Remembering the Past Australia / March 27, 2022 / Australia / 0 Comments
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
This image is part of the Colonial Office photographic collection held at The National Archives UK.
This site called “Howell’s Corner,” was formerly occupied by Charles George Eastland Platts, and it was known as “Platts’s Corner.” Mr Platts, who arrived in South Australia on 22 March 1839, arranged, in association with George Bennett, the first professional concert in the colony on 20 February 1840, and they attracted vice-regal patronage. Mr Platts opened a music business in Gilles arcade in about October of the same year, and in March 1841, moved to premises in Hindley street, opposite Rosina street. Later he took the shop on the corner of King William Street. On 11th November 1871, old and bankrupt, he died, and his executors sold the business to E. S. Wigg, bookseller and stationer. Within a month of purchase, Wigg sold the corner shop to Rundle street bookseller John Howell. When Howell described the business in advertisements as “Howell, late Platts’ corner, Wigg objected, and Howell chose to call it “Howell’s Corner.” John Howell died in August 1878, and the business closed down. Platts is remembered today by booksellers and historians because he published the Almanacs and one or two books now of antiquarian interest. John Howell’s name is largely forgotten. The firm of E. S. Wigg & Son, now at Thebarton, continues, the only bookseller to survive from the colonial era. Glen Ralph, Wilmar Library. [Aussie Mobs]
Showing “Howell’s Corner” on the northern corner of Hindley Street, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia 1876. Original photo published 1876.
From the collection of: