Hobart from Bellerive. Tasmania, Australia 1923By Remembering the Past Australia / August 12, 2020 / Australia / 0 Comments
Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
This image is part of the Colonial Office photographic collection held at The National Archives UK.
Bellerive was first settled by Europeans in the 1820s, and at that time it was known as “Kangaroo Point”, for the large numbers of Kangaroos that would be seen on the shore. Even before this time a ferryman regularly crossed the Derwent from Hobart, coming ashore in the Bellerive area.
By the 1830s the name was changed to Bellerive (meaning “beautiful riverbank”) and the village had become the hub of eastern shore contact with Hobart, and several boats would cross between Bellerive and Sullivans Cove (Hobart) every day.
Showing Hobart from Bellerive, Tasmania, Australia. Original photo taken 1923.
From the collection of: