Grenfell Street: South-west corner and “Register” Office, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia 1876By Remembering the Past Australia / March 27, 2022 / Australia / 0 Comments
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
This image is part of the Colonial Office photographic collection held at The National Archives UK.
The Register, originally the South Australian Gazette and Colonial Register, and later the South Australian Register, was South Australia’s first newspaper. It was first published in London in June 1836, moved to Adelaide in 1837, and folded into The Advertiser almost a century later in February 1931.
In 1854 the office moved from Hindley Street to Grenfell Street and a steam-powered press was installed. [Wiki]
Showing the southwest corner of Grenfell Street and the “Register” Office, Adelaide, South Australia. Original photo published 1876.
From the collection of: