Government Survey Office, and Printing Office, formerly St Mary’s Hospital. Hobart, Tasmania, Australia ca. 1868By Remembering the Past Australia / August 12, 2020 / Australia / 0 Comments
Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
This image is part of the Colonial Office photographic collection held at The National Archives UK.
St Mary’s Hospital was started by Dr Edward Samuel Pickard Bedford (1809-1876), the younger son of Rev.William Bedford. It opened on 1 January 1841 as a subscription hospital, especially for the ‘labouring classes’, under a committee of management, and 5 trustees, with Dr Bedford as the medical officer. It was situated at first in Campbell Street but a new building was erected in Davey Street (corner of Davey & Salamanca Place, later used as public offices) and opened about 1849. Bedford hoped in 1856 to make the hospital a training school but recognition was not granted by the Royal College of Surgeons and the hospital declined and was closed in 1862 owing to lack of financial support. Dr Bedford then moved to Sydney and became the medical adviser to the N.S.W. government. Dr Bedford was a founder member and keen supporter of the Royal Society of Tasmania. [St Mary’s Hospital, Hobart. 1841-1862]
Photograph of the Government Survey Office, and Printing Office. Hobart, Tasmania, Australia. The building was formerly St Mary’s Hospital. Original photo was taken ca. 1868.
From the collection of: