Government House of Perth Official Front. Western Australia, Australia ca. 1870-1880By Remembering the Past Australia / March 3, 2022 / Australia / 0 Comments
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
This image is part of the Colonial Office photographic collection held at The National Archives UK.
Since opening its doors in 1863, the present Government House has been the home of every Governor appointed to serve Western Australia.
Designed by Lieutenant Colonel E. Y. W. Henderson, RE, Comptroller of Convicts, with assistance from the Colony’s surveyors, particularly James Manning, Clerk of Works, the present Government House was built largely by convicts.
During an impressive ceremony conducted by the Masonic Lodge of St. John on March 17, 1859, the foundation stone was laid and in 1863, Governor John Hampton took up residence, prior to its completion in 1864.
In 1867, a banqueting hall was erected next to Government House in anticipation of a visit by Prince Alfred in 1869, the first ‘Royal’ visit to Western Australia. In the 1890s, a ballroom was erected on the site, designed by or under the direction of government architect, Hillson Beasley, who designed a number of other public buildings in the city. Although a major addition to the House, there apparently was no attempt made to conform to the original design. [Government House Western Australia; Wikipedia]
Showing the Government House of Perth, Western Australia, Australia ca. 1870-1880.
From the collection of: