Government House, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia 1938By Remembering the Past Australia / March 22, 2022 / Australia / 0 Comments
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
This image is part of the Colonial Office photographic collection held at The National Archives UK.
The land for Government House was set aside by Lieutenant-Governor of Victoria, Charles La Trobe, in 1841. In 1857, Ferdinand von Mueller, Director of the Royal Botanic Gardens, landscaped the whole area, including Government House reserve, as one parkland. Construction of the building did not start until 1871 and was completed in 1876.
While La Trobe was Lieutenant-Governor he lived in La Trobe’s Cottage. Between 1854 and 1874, Governors lived at Toorak House, then they lived in Bishopscourt in East Melbourne until the present Government House was occupied in 1876.
Between the formation of the Commonwealth of Australia in 1901 and 1927, Government House was the official residence of the Governor-General of Australia. When the Federal Parliament commenced sitting in Canberra in 1927, the Governor-General stayed at Government House, Canberra at Yarralumla while Parliament was in session, but also continued living at Government House in Melbourne until 1930. During this period Governors of Victoria lived at Stonington mansion. The House has been in continuous use by the Governors of Victoria since 1934.
Showing the Government House, Melbourne, looking south-east showing private and official entrances. Victoria, Australia. Original photo published 1938.
From the collection of: