General Post Office, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia 1876By Remembering the Past Australia / March 26, 2022 / Australia / 0 Comments
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
This image is part of the Colonial Office photographic collection held at The National Archives UK.
The Adelaide General Post Office building was the result of an architectural competition won in 1866 by local architects Edmund Wright and Edward Woods. Their design was subsequently modified and the freestone classical building was opened in 1872 with great celebration. It played a significant role in receiving the first message along the Overland Telegraph Line in 1872. The General Post Office clock tower is named the Victoria Tower and was the tallest building in Adelaide into the twentieth century. It was a significant public building for Adelaide when it was built and continues to function as a post office and a city landmark over 140 years later. [sahistoryhub.history.sa.gov.au]
Showing the General Post Office, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia. Original photo published 1876.
From the collection of: