Franklin Square, Macquarie Street, Hobart, Tasmania, Australia ca. 1868By Remembering the Past Australia / August 12, 2020 / Australia / 0 Comments
Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
This image is part of the Colonial Office photographic collection held at The National Archives UK.
Franklin Square is an oak-lined public space in Central Hobart, Tasmania, Australia, named after Sir John Franklin (1786-1847), the Arctic explorer and former Lieutenant-Governor of Van Diemen’s Land (as Tasmania was then known). The centrepiece of the park is a statue of Franklin, with an epitaph by Alfred, Lord Tennyson, which reads:
Not here! The white north hath thy bones and thou
Heroic sailor soul
Art passing on thine happier voyage now
Toward no earthly pole
Franklin Square and Hobart Town Hall were built on the site of the former Government House. The Franklin Monument is recorded on the Tasmanian Heritage Register.
Showing a statue of Sir John Franklin in Franklin Square, with a view of Battery Point and Salamanca Place in the background. Hobart, Tasmania, c. 1868.
From the collection of: