First Public Jetty at Cleveland, Queensland, Australia 1886By Remembering the Past Australia / August 16, 2020 / Australia / 0 Comments
Cleveland, Queensland, Australia
This image is part of the Colonial Office photographic collection held at The National Archives UK.
The first big public timber jetty in the Redlands was built in 1866 by the Queensland Government. It was a 330-metre timber jetty on piles and ran from Cleveland Point towards Peel Island. This jetty was used by the small ships (coastal steamers) travelling between Brisbane and the farming settlements on the Logan and Albert Rivers. In 1887 the Queensland Government built another timber jetty off the other (western) side of the point after the 1866 jetty was damaged by the weather. [Jetties of the Redlands, pgs. 3-4]
Showing the jetty at Cleveland in Queensland, Australia 1886. Original photo taken 1886.
From the collection of: