Dry Dock, S.S. “Leichardt,” in Dock, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia 1886By Remembering the Past Australia / August 16, 2020 / Australia / 0 Comments
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
This image is part of the Colonial Office photographic collection held at The National Archives UK.
The South Brisbane Dry Dock was designed by William David Nisbet, chief engineer for Harbours & Rivers, in 1875. It was constructed between 1876 and 1881 by J & A Overend, who had moved from Melbourne to oversee the work.
The busy Brisbane Riverport required a substantial facility for the maintenance, repair and refitting of commercial ships and Harbours & Rivers dredges, barges and other vessels.
In the first eighteen months, the site was excavated and the excess material was used to build up streets in South Brisbane. The barque Doon was the first to utilise the dock, on 10 September 1881.
A store, carpenters shed, blacksmith shop and wharf were constructed. By 1887 it had been lengthened to 420 feet (130 m), as provided for in the original plans. [Wikipedia]
Showing the S.S. “Leichardt,” in Dry Dock, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Original photo published 1886.
From the collection of: