Domain Road, Botanical Gardens, Hobart, Tasmania, Australia 1923By Remembering the Past Australia / August 12, 2020 / Australia / 0 Comments
Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
This image is part of the Colonial Office photographic collection held at The National Archives UK.
The Royal Tasmanian Botanical Gardens are the second oldest in Australia, having commenced in 1818, two years after those at Sydney. At first, they functioned as the lieutenant governor’s garden, with limited public visitation during the first superintendent William Davidson’s time (1828–34). Lt-Governor Arthur had a heated wall and the superintendent’s cottage built (1829). Arthur requested seeds and plants and in 1829, in response to his initial request, possibly both were sent, primarily ‘forest’ trees, grasses, grains, and nuts.
By 1844, responsibility for the Gardens had been transferred to the new Royal Society of Van Diemen’s Land. FW Newman was appointed Superintendent in 1845, and probably commenced the pinetum and the collection of conifers for which the garden is widely known. [Excerpt: Royal Tasmanian Botanical Gardens. The Companion to Tasmanian History.]
Showing the Domain Road in the Botanical Gardens, Hobart, Tasmania, Australia. Original photo published in 1923.
From the collection of: