Deanery from St. George’s Terrace, Perth, Western Australia ca. 1870-1880By Remembering the Past Australia / March 3, 2022 / Australia / 0 Comments
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
This image is part of the Colonial Office photographic collection held at The National Archives UK.
The Deanery has housed generations of Deans over its history and is now the hub of the St George’s Cathedral administration. Built in 1859 as a residence and office for the first Dean of Perth, the Reverend George Purves Pownall, the Deanery served as a residence for over 90 years, until it was threatened with demolition in 1953. Public appeals to save it were successful, and the Deanery was modernised and used as an office and residence for the Dean’s secretary, the assistant priests and their families. In 1979 the building was extensively restored and reopened in 1982. It has been used as the Cathedral offices since then. [Cathedral Square]
Showing the Deanery from St. George’s Terrace, Perth, Western Australia Original photo ca. 1870-1880.
From the collection of: