Church of England, Fortitude Valley, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia 1886By Remembering the Past Australia / August 16, 2020 / Australia / 0 Comments
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
This image is part of the Colonial Office photographic collection held at The National Archives UK.
Construction on The Holy Trinity Church in Fortitude Valley began in 1876 and was completed in 1877 by the Anglican Church. It was the second Anglican church on this site and the third in Fortitude Valley.
Fortitude Valley was established in 1849 and the first rector, The Rev. E.K. Yeatman, of “our mother church in this portion of Australia” was appointed in 1856. The Holy Trinity Parish included Sandgate, New Farm, Enoggera and Bowen Hills, and as St Johns was situated on the site of what is now Queens Gardens, parishioners had difficulty attending services as the Ann Street cutting had not been started. There was no Wickham Street, only a row of ponds and brickyards on the site. By 1856, it was apparent that St Johns was not large enough for the growing parish, and a new church was established in a rented cottage at the corner of Ann and Ballow Streets, across from the Fortitude Valley Post Office. Divine services were held on Sunday, and a day school was conducted during the week.
In 1857 the parish was granted two acres of land for church purposes by the New South Wales government (the separation of Queensland did not occur until December 1859) This is the same site that the current church is now located on. The first building was constructed as a temporary church at a cost of £495, and was described as “a long, plain building of rough stone and cut facings”. It was later enlarged at a further cost of £300. [Wikipedia]
Showing the Church of England, Fortitude Valley, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Original photo published 1886.
From the collection of: