Brisbane Supreme Court, George street frontage, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia 1886By Remembering the Past Australia / August 16, 2020 / Australia / 0 Comments
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
This image is part of the Colonial Office photographic collection held at The National Archives UK.
Although the Brisbane Supreme Court initially served the needs of the entire colony of Queensland, it did not occupy a purpose-built building until 1879. Until then, the Brisbane Court sat at the Old Convict Barracks in Queen Street.
By 1870, despite minor building modifications to the convict barracks, it had become clear that a new building was required to house the Brisbane Supreme Court. A site on George Street was selected and the prominent colonial architect, Francis Drummond Greville Stanley, submitted plans for an elaborate neoclassical building that was two storeys tall. These original plans featured stone floors and other sophisticated detail. They were later modified for financial reasons and in 1875 John Petrie successfully tendered to construct the building.
On 6 March 1879, the new Supreme Court opened. The entrance on the North Quay frontage had been designed as the main entrance but this was soon superseded by the George Street entrance. In 1880, iron gates were also added to the building. [Wikipedia]
Showing Brisbane Supreme Court, George street frontage, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Original photo published 1886.
From the collection of: