Brisbane Post Office, Queensland, Australia 1886By Remembering the Past Australia / August 16, 2020 / Australia / 0 Comments
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
This image is part of the Colonial Office photographic collection held at The National Archives UK.
The first full-time postmaster in Brisbane was J. E. Barney in 1852. In 1862, the first Postmaster-General for the state of Queensland Thomas Lodge Murray Prior was appointed. A small convict era building was used for postal services but was too far from the telegraph office. The Postmaster-General choose a half hectare site that was centrally located.
The building already located at the Queen Street site which once hosted women convicts was demolished in 1871. Freestone and bricks were sourced from local materials. The GPO was opened on 28 September 1872. In 1873, the Queensland Museum was housed in the General Post Office building but moved in 1879 to the William Street building. In the same year a second wing, which was constructed by John Petrie was completed which allowed the telegraph office to move to the building, pleasing business customers.
The building features deep verandahs and high ceilings. A clock mounted in the pediment positioned above the main entrance was once illuminated by a gas-powered light. It was replaced by a smaller, electric clock. The first typewriter to be used in any post office in any Australian city was used at the GPO in 1892.
Showing Brisbane Post Office, Queensland, Australia. Original photo published 1886.
From the collection of: