Brisbane Hospital, From Bowen Bridge Road, Queensland, Australia 1886By Remembering the Past Australia / August 16, 2020 / Australia / 0 Comments
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
This image is part of the Colonial Office photographic collection held at The National Archives UK.
The first public hospital in Brisbane, the Moreton Bay Hospital, was established on 12 January 1849. It was the old Convict Hospital on North Quay and was grossly overcrowded trying to cater to the growing population of post convict era Brisbane and surrounding areas.
With no support from the previous New South Wales government, the building of a larger hospital was delayed until the Queensland Government accumulated sufficient funds of its own.
Bowen Hospital’s, main building in Herston was designed by the architect Charles Tiffin with the involvement of others. The new hospital was built and supervised by Andrew Petrie and completed in 1867. Standing on land at Herston, the facility contained Fever Wards, long low blocks located just behind the main building. The patients were moved from the hospital in George Street to the new Brisbane Hospital on 8th January 1867. There were complaints that the new hospital was located too far out of the town and would have been better suited at Spring Hill or Petrie Terrace. [Brisbane History. Brisbane Hospitals]
Showing Brisbane Hospital, from Bowen Bridge Road, Queensland, Australia. Original photo published 1886.
From the collection of: