Balcony on Sydney Parliament Houses, New South Wales, Australia 1870By Remembering the Past Australia / April 8, 2022 / Australia / 0 Comments
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
This image is part of the Colonial Office photographic collection held at The National Archives UK.
The Parliament of New South Wales occupies the oldest building in the city centre, built as part of the nation’s first permanent hospital. The colonnaded central part of the building facing Macquarie Street was completed in 1816 as part of Governor Macquarie’s General Hospital – known as the Rum Hospital because its construction was financed by the importation of rum to the colony.
The hospital had a large central building – the main hospital – and two smaller wings that served as Surgeons’ Quarters. The central building was demolished and replaced in 1894 by the Sydney Hospital, but the two smaller wings remain. The northern wing, now the colonnaded facade of Parliament House, was originally built as the Principal Surgeon’s quarters while the Mint building served as the Assistant Surgeon’s quarters.
From 1829 a room on the ground floor of the Surgeons’ Quarters was used as the first Legislative Council Chamber. In 1843 the Legislative Council was increased to 36 members, resulting in the need for a larger Chamber. The current Chamber was constructed on the northern end of the building and used by the Legislative Council until 1856. [Parliament NSW]
Showing the balcony on Sydney Parliament Houses, New South Wales. Original photo published 1870.
From the collection of: