Arthur’s Head, Fremantle, Western Australia ca. 1870-1880By Remembering the Past Australia / March 11, 2022 / Australia / 0 Comments
Fremantle, Western Australia, Australia
This image is part of the Colonial Office photographic collection held at The National Archives UK.
Arthur Head was a large limestone headland on what was once a narrow peninsula on the southern side of the mouth of the Swan River, now also the entry to Fremantle Harbour.
In May 1829 the strategic location of Arthur Head led it to be chosen by Captain Charles Fremantle RN as the site for his fortified beach camp.
Archaeologist Michael Pearson in his 1984 report identified the following:
- 1851 Lighthouse (first)
- 1876 Lighthouse (second): 22 feet (6.7 m) in diameter, 72 feet (22 m) high; constructed by convicts in 1876–1879; decommissioned in 1902.
- 1834 Courthouse (first)
- 1840 Courthouse (second)
- 1852 Police station complex
- Lighthouse keeper quarters
- Harbourmaster quarters
A significant part of the Arthur Head area was utilised during World War II; the slipway constructed then for submarine repairs was known as the Arthurs Head Slipway.[Australia for Everyone; Wikipedia]
Showing Arthur’s Head, Fremantle, Western Australia. Original photo ca. 1870-1880.
From the collection of: